City of Mascoutah to Resume Termination of Utility Services for Nonpayment
Over the past several months, our community has experienced an unprecedented situation. In an effort to ease the burden to our customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Mascoutah ceased penalties and disconnection of utility services for non-payment on March 16, 2020. To serve our customers and the community responsibly, termination of utility services for nonpayment and penalties will resume beginning August 1, 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Mascoutah provide notification prior to restarting the nonpayment disconnect process?
Yes. Nonpayment disconnect notices will be sent prior to service disconnections. The date the service will be disconnected will be stated on the disconnect notice.
How do I ensure my service is not disconnected due to nonpayment?
The past due amount must be received one business day before the disconnect date or a COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan must be in place by July 30, 2020. The City of Mascoutah cannot provide direct financial assistance or reduce the amount you owe.
What are the Payment Arrangement terms?
- Amount due is under $500
- 1/2 of the balance due to be paid immediately
- 1/2 of the balance due to be paid the second month + current month bill, payment must be made by the customer’s current due date
- Amount due is between $501 and $1,000
- 1/4 of the balance due to be paid immediately
- The 3/4 remaining balance to be paid in 3 equal monthly installments (months 2-4) + current month bill, payment must be made by the customer’s current due date
- Amount due is between $1,001 and $1,999
- 1/6 of the balance due to be paid immediately
- The 5/6 remaining balance to be paid in 5 equal monthly installments (months 2-6) + current month bill, payment must be made by the customer’s current due date
- If amount due is greater than $2,000, a payment plan may be granted for a longer period at the discretion and approval by the City Manager.
- Budget billing customers requesting payment plan will be removed from budget billing.
- No penalties shall be charged and no termination of service will occur while a signed COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan is active and remains in good standing.
- Failure to fulfill the COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan terms will result in immediate disconnection and all past due amounts will be due in full, plus reconnection fees prior to reconnection of services.
How Do I Apply for COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan?
Please complete the Application for COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan and submit to [email protected] or return to City of Mascoutah, Utility Billing Department, 3 West Main St., Mascoutah IL 62258. If you are not able to download the application, contact the utility office at (618) 566-2964 x 502 or email [email protected] and request a COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan application. Please keep in mind our Utility Department will likely experience high call volumes. If you do not get connected with a customer service representative, please leave a message and your call will be returned in the order received or submit your request to [email protected].
If customers cannot pay the full balance, they are encouraged to apply for the COVID-19 Emergency Flexible Payment Plan to avoid disconnection. Additionally, community assistance programs are available to assist customers.
- Catholic Urban Program, (618) 398-5616, http://catholicurbanprograms.org
- Concerned Christians, (618) 566-4610
- Help Illinois Families, https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/CommunityServices/HomeWeatherization/Comm...
- Illinois Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/communityservices/utilitybillassistance/p...
- Mascoutah Township, (618) 566-7132
- The Salvation Army, (618) 236-2167, http://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/usc/utility_assistance
- United Way, Dial 2-1-1 or (800) 427-4626