Functions of the City Engineer's office:
- Oversees the management, operation, maintenance, and capital improvement program for the public infrastructure of the city.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and oversees the functions of the Engineering Department, including engineering responsibilities for streets, water, sewer, Electric power, City's parks, public works construction, and private development construction.
- Coordinates/interacts with other departments and outside agencies (IDOT, MFT program, IEPA, and IDNR/COE).
- Identifies major and minor infrastructure needs, proposes/plans projects and work orders.
- Responds to emergent and/ or major infrastructure damage reports.
- Assists in developing and maintaining City’s FAR/ CIP multi-year schedule and contributes expertise to the City’s 5-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Reviews and ensures compliance to Federal/ State Environmental Protection Agency (EPA/ IEPA) policies and regulations, initiates and prepares construction and operating permit applications for IEPA approval, reviews and assesses compliance to other government policies and regulations (e.g., ADA), oversees sampling and testing procedures, and maintains files (specifications, drawings) on City’s water, wastewater, storm-water, street systems and electric system.
- Responsible for all City-wide construction standards and practices – sewer, water, electric, storm drainage, and streets development standards.
- Oversees department contracts. Prepares plans and specifications, reviews consultant designs, cost estimates and makes modifications. Advertises for contract bids, prepares award recommendation and processes confirmed contracts. Initiates and directs contract work, reviews work estimates and progress payments, chairs pre-construction conference, performs or delegates inspections and inspects contract work quality and progress reports, verifies compliance with all contract requirements. Performs contract close-outs, verifies resolution of liens, reviews final payments, and verifies final documentation and drawings for files.
- Coordinates real estate acquisitions, deeds, easements; coordinates with various constituencies affected by department activities.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data of plans submitted to the City.
- Researches and applies for Federal, State or other loan documents and grants.
- Reviews private development improvement plans for compliance with City Codes, engineering design and specifications.
- Updates GIS mapping system to capture new infrastructure (streets, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, water mains, electric distribution, fiber optic network, etc.)
|Ron Yeager||City Engineer||(618) 566-2964 ext. 140|
|Tom Quirk||City Engineer||(618) 566-2964 ext. 114|